Allergy and Asthma
Allergy and Asthma services, a recent addition to RMI, provides both basic as well as novel diagnostic and treatment options to children and adult sufferers of allergy. The following services are available on a daily basis:
Environmental Allergens (in children and adults)
- Diagnosis of allergic rhinitis (Hay fever), Allergic conjunctivitis causing itchy watery eyes and rhino sinusitis with skin tests performed with allergen extracts imported from France (Stallergenes/Greer pharmaceuticals).
- Confirmation of diagnosis of Atopic asthma ( allergic asthma) with skin tests, followed by appropriate management
- Confirmation of diagnosis of atopic dermatitis (eczema) with skin tests and treatment
- Desensitization treatment (using allergen Vaccines imported from France) against allergies to pollens, house dust mites, cat and dog dander as well as bee and wasp venom. This will be offered to patients with allergic asthma, dermatitis (eczema), rhinitis (Hay fever), conjunctivitis and patients with allergies resulting in severe reactions to bee and wasp stings.
- Biologic agents (Xolair injections) to manage severe allergic asthma for symptom control and improvement of quality of life.
- Diagnosis and treatment of chronic cough (cough ongoing for longer than 1 month) usually falsely labelled as asthma.
- Diagnosis and treatment of occupational (work related asthma)for example in laboratory and health care workers, bakers, nan-makers, cloth merchants and sales men, tailors, traffic police and farmers, to name a few.
Drug Allergies (Children and adults)
- Confirmation of suspected allergies to penicillin and local anaesthetic agents as most patients are falsely labelled allergic.
- Diagnosing and finding alternate agents in suspected drug allergies to pain killers, antibacterial, antiviral, antifungals, immunosuppressant and chemotherapeutic agents. Also in patients who report severe reactions to general anaesthetic agents.
- Diagnosis and desensitization in patients with aspirin sensitivity.
- Desensitization to aspirin to help patients with Samter’s triad and aspirin sensitive asthma.
- I can also desensitize to antibiotics in patients with multiple drug sensitivities especially in the ITU (ICU) setting and also for immunosuppressed individuals.
Food Allergies (children and adults)
- Diagnosis and counselling patients with food allergies including children. I can perform food challenges in anxious patients to confirm or refute food allergies.
Skin allergies (Children and Adults)
- Diagnosis and treatment of eczema (allergic dermatitis) in children and adults using skin prick tests to environmental and food allergen extracts.
- Confirmation of diagnosis and managing patients with severe urticaria with or without angioedema - (allergic and spontaneous).
- Severe cutaneous reactions resulting from bee and wasp stings.
- I also offer biologic agents (Xolair injections) to patients with severe urticaria for symptom control.