Biomedical Engineering function combines the design and problem-solving skills of engineering with medical and biological sciences to improve healthcare diagnosis, monitoring and therapy in an ethically responsible manner.
“Medical devices are assets that directly affect human lives.”
Collaborative | Innovative | Competitive | Integrative | Effective
Medical Equipment management in a hospital is the function of Biomedical Engineering department. Serving initially as the health care provider’s equipment maintenance.
Basic Objective of Biomedical Engineering function is to ensure optimum performance & Install, adjust, maintain, repair, or provide technical support for biomedical equipment to minimize risk to its customers, employees and stakeholders.
Medical equipment maintenance: Two major categories observed by BME:
- Inspection and preventive maintenance (IPM)
IPM includes all scheduled activities that ensure equipment functionality and prevent breakdowns or failures.
Performance and safety inspections are straightforward procedures that verify proper functionality and safe use of a device.
- Corrective maintenance (CM)
CM restores the function of a failed device and allows it to be put back into service.
It is our Responsibility to lock the schedule on CMMS & keeping a log maintenance check.
Our Strategic Priorities:
Biomedical Engineering function holds the responsibility to provide effective solutions for healthcare technology, engineering services for clinical/medical devices operating through the Institute. The function has obligation for performing the following stated tasks:
- Policy framework for Health Technology
- Installation & Commissioning of new medical equipment
- To ensure maximum UPTIME of medical equipment
- Pre-Purchase Technical Evaluation /Appraisal for acquiring new modalities;
- Outsource service contract management;
- Needs assessment of medical devices
- Framing risk assessment plan for clinical equipment;
- Budgetary Management;
- Maintenance Management of Medical Equipment (Inspection, preventive maintenance & Corrective maintenance)
- Performing Preventive Maintenance;
- Equipment Risk Management
- Root Cause Analysis
- To provide user trainings for safe operating of Medical Equipment.
- Updating the computerized database Inventory of medical equipment.
- Medical Equipment Life Cycle Planning.
- Maintaining of equipment Log and peripheral documentations.